OMG! I can’t believe I’ve waited so long. I absolutely love this book. I can’t put it down. I had to pry it out of my hands. I can hear Jamie calling to me. Blog hop with us the next 6 Mondays and follow the discussion on twitter #OutlanderRA.
June 11th – Questions for chapters 1-7 announced at Gone with the Words
June 18th – Questions for chapters 1-7 answered & questions announced for chapters 8-14 at Stalking the Bookshelves
June 25th – Questions for chapters 8-14 answered & questions announced for chapters 15-21 on Tangled up in Blue
July 2nd – Questions for chapters 15-21 answered & questions announced for chapters 22-28 on Into the Hall of Books
July 9th – Questions for chapters 22-28 answered & questions announced for chapters 29-35 on Logan E. Turner
July 16th – Questions for chapters 29-35 answered & questions announced for chapters 36-41 on The Reading Housewives
July 23rd – Questions for chapters 36-41 answered on Gone with the Words. The end.
Chapter 8-14 Discussion:
1. Clair has been give the task of healer at the castle. She must adapt her nursing skills for the time and learn what herbs and etc will cure each particular ailment that is presented to her. Do you have any home remedies that were passed down to you (cure for a cold, bee sting or what have you)? I think my kid is sick of hearing me say “rub dirt on it and get out there and play.” Just kidding. Not. Suck it Up is the norm. Aloe is a handy one, especially for sunburn. Meat tenderizer. My mom used it on my sister when she got a jelly fish sting. We’ve also used it on spider bites and scorpion stings. Whataburger taquitos or sausage and gravy are great for a hangover.
2. What do you think would be the biggest challenge of living in the past? (clothing, hygiene, food, etiquette or etc.) Being a woman. I don’t conform to rigid expectations, especially ones that are limiting. I like that Claire doesn’t exactly and Jamie kind of likes it. But it would get me burned at the stake. Clothing. I would miss blue jeans and sweat pants. I always make a special note when I teach WWI. The Rosie Riviters of that generation when in the factories wearing skirts and came out wearing pants. Thank those ladies. Hallelujah!
3. Do you have a favorite character, scene or quote so far? If so, share it with us. Of course, I love Jamie and Claire. I love how their personalities aren’t the rule for the time. I think I’m liking Doughal for a secondary character. I love the whole lead up to the marriage…I don’t even know your name….You know I’m not a virgin…Well I guess at least one of us will know what they are doing…LOVE IT.
4. What did you think about the addition of the blood bond in the wedding ceremony? Is this something you would do with the one you love? I enjoy seeing the blending of culture and religion. The blending of Christianity with the previous pagan beliefs. I’d do it.
5. Are you reading along closely with the scheduled chapters or are you ahead or behind? I’m a wee bit ahead. I like to stay with the schedule, so it is easier to be in the moment when answering questions. But it goes against my nature to put down a good book and walk away. Jacinda was taunting me with her lack of will power, so I read on. And heck, there was NO WAY I could put the book down knowing there was some consummating coming in the next chapter.